Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What language(s) should I learn?

I am considering certain languages to learn in my lifetime for both career and personal travels, but I can’t decide which one(s) to learn. I already have a list that I’ve made and why I’m looking at those. So, please don’t try to persuade me about one that doesn’t even appeal to me – unless, in an extreme situation, there’s one that is very similar and is just as useful. I know someone can’t just tell me to pick one or pick a set, but hopefully you can enlighten me past what I’ve already looked into.

Well, I’ve been looking at French, German, Russian, and Arabic – and no, I’ve never had any interest in Spanish, no matter how much it’s spoken. I’ve taken a few Spanish classes and did quite well at it, I just didn’t like it.

I’m looking at French for several reasons. For one, my fiance is surely set on French, and she and I want to learn the same language so that we can speak to one another in that language as well. Second, the language appeals to me because it is romantic, and is somewhat rhythmic. I was also impressed at how many countries speak this language – France, Belgium, Monaco, a few other countries in Europe, near half or a third of Africa’s countries, and many islands in the Atlantic, South Pacific, and Indian oceans. One thing I’m afraid of is the stereotypes that I noticed quite a few people hold about French such as being “pansies,” or weak/cowardly, or of course, all being complete snobs. I don’t know why these stereotypes are common or if any of them are true to any extent.

With German, I like it for different reasons. It sure isn’t romantic, but it sounds very strong and powerful – which is appealing to me as well. However, only Germany and a few surrounding countries such as Switzerland have this language as their primary. Another thing that I noticed was that Germany’s climate/environment seemed a little more lush or less arid than France, even though they are right next to each other (correct me if I’m wrong or just wasn’t viewing enough or the right travel pictures lol). I don’t know why, but just as much as I like sunny and warm, I also like a good amount of dampness or precipitation.

I like Russian for the same reasons as German, and I would also want to learn it to get a little more in touch with my heritage – my father’s side of the family came to the United States from Ukraine and I think I’m roughly a quarter to a third (maybe even close to a half) Ukrainian. The same problem lies with Russia, though. Only Russia and a few surrounding countries have this as their official language. But, I just looked up a global map and it appears that quite a few countries surrounding these countries widely use and understand Russian, even many Asian countries. Western Russia’s landscape also looked less arid or dry as France – correct me if I’m wrong. I also noticed Russia and Germany seem to have a lot more forest and wilderness, which I like. Again, correct me if I’m wrong.

Lastly, I was looking at Arabic because it strangely seemed romantic or rhythmic to me as well. There are a few countries in which I’d like to travel that have this as their official language, such as Morocco, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc. And, like all of the other languages, I think the culture, more from an art and architecture point of view, is beautiful or mysterious.

So, I’m very sorry this is so long, but there’s a lot I’ve looked into and and still wondering about. I don’t know what I’m doing as a career yet, but I am pretty sure that it will be in the science and/or technology/engineering fields – possibly even aerospace and astronautic science/technology (I always had an interest in space lol). I’ve looked a little into which ones are the most beneficial for careers, but still don’t know much.

Oh, and until my fiance and I transfer to a bigger university, Spanish is the only language offered there. So, what are our other options as far as places to go or methods for learning languages? Also, is Rosetta Stone as good as they make it look?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot!
Note: also want to learn an Asian language as well since I absolutely love Asian culture. Between Chinese (probably Mandarin) and Japanese, I’d probably pick Japanese – even though it’s much more isolated. So, I’ll add these to the discussion as well.

I don’t think I’d learn one of them as my first foreign language, though…but who knows.


No comments:

Post a Comment